When I first started doing the 7-Minute Workout, I was in decent shape but I wasn't ready for 30 seconds for some of the exercises. I did what I could, and then took a longer rest until it was time for the next exercise. I felt it was more important to maintain good form than worry about the number of reps. For instance, I started with about 8 pushups at a slow pace. Once I got into better shape, I started doing 10-15 pushups in the 30 seconds. When I'm in good shape, I can do 20 pushups.
Possible progression from easy to harder:
- Very slow, stopping before 30 sec up if needed, complete rest for 10 sec
- Slow and steady, continue for 30 sec, complete rest for 10 sec
- Normal pace for 30 sec, simpler versions for a few exercises, complete rest for 10 sec
- Normal pace for 30 sec, good form for all exercises, complete rest for 10 sec
- Normal pace for 30 sec, good form for all exercises, active rest for 10 sec
This video demonstrates the entire 7-Minute Workout. She gives good explanations. In this case, active rest is used instead of complete rest. She does exercises that rely on upper body strength the easier way. For instance pushups or the plank from her elbows.