Tuesday, December 5, 2017

7-Minute Workout based on HIIT to do anywhere

Back in 2013, the NY Times wrote up a 7-Minute Workout and it proved to be quite popular.  The basic premise is that the workout uses HIIT to achieve maximum results in a short amount of time.  HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training and has been researched a reasonable amount in recent years.  The NY Times article was inspired by an article with the title "High-Intensity Circuit Training Using Body Weight: Maximum Results With Minimal Investment" from the Amer. College of Sports Medicine's Health and Fitness Journal.  My personal trainer suggested I give it a try during a training session about a year after I completed physical therapy for knee rehab.  After that I found a free app that makes it easy to do the workout, especially when I am traveling.  All that's needed is a little space, a towel, and an appropriate chair.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/



When I first started doing the 7-Minute Workout, I was in decent shape but I wasn't ready for 30 seconds for some of the exercises.  I did what I could, and then took a longer rest until it was time for the next exercise.  I felt it was more important to maintain good form than worry about the number of reps.  For instance, I started with about 8 pushups at a slow pace.  Once I got into better shape, I started doing 10-15 pushups in the 30 seconds.  When I'm in good shape, I can do 20 pushups.

Possible progression from easy to harder:
  1. Very slow, stopping before 30 sec up if needed, complete rest for 10 sec
  2. Slow and steady, continue for 30 sec, complete rest for 10 sec
  3. Normal pace for 30 sec, simpler versions for a few exercises, complete rest for 10 sec
  4. Normal pace for 30 sec, good form for all exercises, complete rest for 10 sec
  5. Normal pace for 30 sec, good form for all exercises, active rest for 10 sec
This video demonstrates the entire 7-Minute Workout.  She gives good explanations.  In this case, active rest is used instead of complete rest.  She does exercises that rely on upper body strength the easier way.  For instance pushups or the plank from her elbows.


3 comments:

  1. Great blog post! Thanks for the information. While I am familiar with all of these exercises, combining them into a 7 minute workout is a great idea. I will give this a try today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your posts while Googling about copers with ACL injuries... most are in SkiDiva and, well, I'm not allowed there as I'm not a woman. That said, I appreciate your journey as I completely ruptured my ACL skiing 3 1/2 weeks ago, sprained my MCL and have a few more issues. All that and yet I can walk, am already doing loaded exercises for PT And can get on a stationary bike comfortably. I'm not planning on quitting skiing but also not planning on getting surgery. Very hopeful on what may be in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texasdago: hope your recovery and rehab go smoothly. If you would like to contact me, I'm also on a few other ski forums, including SkiSoutheast and Northeast Mountain Sports. Although from your username, I would guess you don't ski in the northeast.

    ReplyDelete